Thursday, April 19, 2012

Lost in Paradise

I'm currently taking a figure painting class throughout the C Gallery in Los Alamos.  This week we had our class at the teacher's house up in the rolling hills of Los Alamos.  We couldn't of asked for a more beautiful day.  The rustic italian/spanish house sits atop a hill which then over looks more hills covered by vineyards, mustard, and cows.  Its a home for the sophisticated cowboy.  

Back to class.  For the first time ever, I'm working on a huge canvas.  Its probably at least 4.5 feet by 4 feet.  I can just barely carry it.  And I'm also tackling overlapping figures.  Why?  Well why not?  I have a feeling this painting will take me many hours to complete and will most likely go through many transformations.  I've learned that skin tones look really great behind a blue wash, and that i prefer to use a rag to paint with rather than a brush.  



For this painting I was thinking about light vs. dark, life vs. death. in terns of being a Christian.  Who we are before we know the Lord, and who we are and the life we have after we have began a relationship with Him.  I envisioned the top half to be the "light" and the bottom half to be the "dark."  The bottom half has a broken, fractured person, the one on top is whole, complete.  I will bring in other elements later (rocks, water, light).  I am excited to see where this will go.  



After class we took a cruise in the ranch mobile and began looking for places to do landscape painting.  I won't attend that class, i just went for the ride.  








No comments:

Post a Comment